Christmas Loaf Cake

December 14, 2015
Christmas loaf cake chestnut chocolate candied fruit recipe

Happy Monday everyone! I'm ecstatic for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Christmas is around the corner and I still get as excited as a kid waiting for Santa. I'm also happy because I have an amazing recipe to share with you today. This year I’ve ventured to do a more difficult one and I’m really happy I took the plunge because it’s the best one I’ve done so far! It's a mouth-watering chestnut and chocolate cake. Yes, I know we made a chestnut cake in October but here we are taking it to the next level. If you are looking for a Christmas desert keep scrolling down...



Ingredients
Chestnut puree
500 gr of chestnuts, some milk, 4 tablespoons of sugar
Sponge cake
4 eggs
260 gr brown sugar
120 ml cream
100 gr butter
230 gr flour
chestnut puree
6 gr of yeast
3 tablespoons of powder cocoa
100gr of chocolate (you can use milk chocolate or regular one. I’ve used a bar of 70% cocoa)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
Icing
100 gr of icing sugar
1 teaspoon of water


 The first thing is to make the chestnut puree. Cut an "x" on each chestnut and bake them in the oven for 10 minutes. Peel the chestnuts. Put the chestnuts in a pot with a bit of water and boil them for 20 minutes. After letting them cool down add a bit of milk and the sugar. Then make them puree using a blender.

Next step is making the cake. Preheat oven at 200ºC. Mix the eggs and the sugar in a bowl, and then add the cream. Mix yeast, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and add to the mixture. Then add melted butter and finally add the chestnut puree. Mix well.

Pour half of the mixture in the mold. Add the powder cocoa to the other half and mix well.  Pour the rest of the mixture on the center of the mold so that the chocolate part sinks in the middle of the cake.

Cut chocolate in dice and sprinkle on top of the cake. The chunks of chocolate will be crunchy and delicious when you serve the cake.

Put in the oven at 200ºC for 10 minutes. Then, open the oven and cut the center of the cake, make it a thick line. With this cut the cake will grow taller in the center rather than the sides making more spectacular and professional looking. Lower temperature at 160ºC and bake for 40 minutes. Check that it’s cooked by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. Your cake is ready if it comes out either clean or with only a few crumbs clinging to it. Once out of the oven let it cool for 5 min before taking it out of mold. Let it cool completely.

For the icing, mix the sugar, cream and water in a bowl. When the mixture is ready, pour it on top of the cake. Put it in the fridge to solidify. Decorate as you wish. I used Spanish sweet candied fruit which is very popular here at this time of the year.
Serves 10


Christmas loaf cake chestnut chocolate candied fruit recipe

Christmas loaf cake chestnut chocolate candied fruit recipe

I hope this is useful inspiration for you. If you decide to make this yummy loaf cake let me know by sending me a pic or tagging me @crisgomez85 on social networks.
Cristina xo

11 comments

  1. Great blog! Thanks for sharing!
    I love Christmas, if only it would snow...

    Made in Mauve

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really making me want to bake right now!

    http://www.ashtonblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy this looks so good, love your apron
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy!

    xo

    www.dylanasuarez.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! This looks wonderful! It truly is a Christmas cake. I love how you decorated it too - so cute!:)

    www.thesparklingdarling.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds and looks so delicious! Lovely recipe! -Maireem

    My Fair Autumn | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks so yummi love.
    Kisses from www.vanedresscode.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will try it : ) Thanks for the inspiration ; )
    LaMelenaDeLeón

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my! Thank you for sharing!
    This looks delicious! I'm looking forward to making it!
    Kat | Delirium Style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out the time to leave a comment!